# Thursday, 11 November 2010
« The UI requires refactoring. | Main | Learning From Others »

This weekend I was trying to install the WebMatrix and it was hanging on the SQL CLR types install.  I’ve had a couple of times now when the Web Platform Installer doesn’t quite work and I don’t get any error.

I tried a couple of things like shutting down SQL Server, restarting WebPI, etc.  I found the easiest way around this is to use WebPI’s installation information window to see what the prerequisites are and run them manually.


WebPI downloads the install files to C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Web Platform Installer\installers.


Manually installing the prerequisites worked even though WebPI hung on the SQLCLRTypes install. 

It’s nice to know where WebPI downloads the install files in case you want to backup the files or install on another box without having to re-download them.  You could copy the installers directory to/from machines to avoid this.

The Web Platform Installer is a great little tool that has made life a lot easier but it’s not perfect.  Hopefully this little trick will help someone else out when WebPI doesn’t quite do the trick on it’s own.

Happy Coding!

Posted 11.11.2010  #    Comments [6]  |